Provide onboarding/orientation for new employees to navigate organizational & local cultural norms
An inclusive workplace culture is a healthy environment for all. To establish a positive workplace environment, the ALBA Declaration on Equity & Inclusion advises to provide onboarding/orientation for new employees to navigate organizational & local cultural norms. This article provides useful tips & resources on best practices about welcoming new employees or students.
Human resource studies show that the importance of the onboarding process in leading to positive outcomes for new employees. As much as 25% of turnover happens during new hires' first 45 days, so onboarding is a pertinent time to focus on new employee needs. An article in Harvard Business Review reported Gallup surveys showing that friendships boost employee satisfaction by 50% and people with a best friend at work are seven times more likely to engage fully in their work. Connections at work are particularly crucial for staff in underrepresented groups where fitting in to the corporate culture and finding colleagues in affinity groups can increase job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and retention.
- Tailor your onboarding process to include issues that most concern women and minorities.
- Build in networking and socializing opportunities from day one.
- Set up mentor/mentee relationships amongst people from similarly diverse backgrounds to help the newcomers feel welcome and overcome challenges.
- Embed an inclusive culture from the start and have staff women and minorities introduce themselves as part of the orientation day.
- (Women and minorities) on board: driving change through sustainable onboarding practices; Talmundo B.V., human resources companies specializing in onboarding (NL)
- Managing People: We All Need Friends at Work; Harvard Business Review, 2013 (US)
Examples of best practices:
- Building an Inclusive Community: What Science Departments Can Do; Society for Neuroscience Neuronline
- Your Science Avengers: How to Assemble Your Mentoring Team; Society for Neuroscience Neuronline
- Ten simple rules for building an anti-racist lab, Bala ChaudharyAsmeret Asefaw Berhe EcoEvoRvix Preprints