Adopt and enforce a code of conduct
An inclusive workplace culture is a healthy environment for all. To establish a positive workplace environment, the ALBA Declaration on Equity & Inclusion advises to adopt and enforce a code of conduct. This article provides useful tips & resources on best practices about codes of conduct.
Human behavior in professional settings has been subject to increasing scrutiny as women and other underrepresented groups have experienced discrimination, various levels of sexual harassment and even abuse in the false protection of organizational venues.
- Study the state-of-art guidelines and adapt to fit your purpose.
- Have all parties in your organization sign forms declaring they have read and will abide by the code of conduct.
- Make sure an effective system for whistleblowers does not punish the victim.
Examples of codes of conduct:
- Code of conduct for meetings; American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Respect Code of Conduct; ETH Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (CH)
- Professional Conduct; Society for Neuroscience (US)
- Code of Conduct at FENS Forums; FENS, Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (EU)
- Guidelines for Organizing a Diverse Conference; the ALBA Network