Navigating academia as an LGBTQIA+ neuroscientist
The ALBA Network is holding a webinar on LGBTQIA+ inclusion and visibility during the Virtual FENS Regional Meeting (25-27 August 2021). This special event will feature a panel of established scientists in brain research who identify as LGBTQIA+.
The session will be chaired by Dr Jordan Marrocco (The Rockefeller University, US - ALBA Ambassador). Each speaker will discuss their goals, challenges and successes while navigating academia as part of the LGBTQIA+ community.
A discussion with the audience will follow the presentations.
- Dr Paul Matusz he/him (University of Applied Sciences, CH) - originally from Poland, he is Principal Investigator & Lecturer. He studies brain-cognitive mechanisms controlling attention in naturalistic settings.
- Prof Joni Wallis she/her (University of California, US) - Professor of Psychology, her lab focuses on understanding the functional organization of the frontal cortex at the single neuron level.
- Dr Bittu Kaveri Rajaraman he/him (Ashoka University, IN) - Associate Professor of Biology and Psychology.
- Prof José Luis Peña he/him (Einstein Institute, US) - Professor and member of the ALBA Board of Directors
- Dr Mehmet Kurt he/him (Stevens Institute of Technology, US) - Director of Kurtlab, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and a member of The STEM Village
- Dr Ahmed El Hady he/him (Princeton University ,US) - Neuroscientist and political activist aiming to improve Egypt records on LGBTQ rights
- Dr Sara Brownell she/her (Arizona states University ,US) - is a neuroscientist turned discipline-based education researcher. She is the recipient of the 2020 LGBTQ+ Educator of the Year award.