From ethnic diversity to global inclusion in European neuroscience - an ALBA-FKNE-YIBRO event
This event, which brings together the ALBA Network, the FENS-Kavli Network of Excellence and Young IBRO, will provide a platform for emerging scientists to collectively voice their opinion towards shaping a more diverse, equitable and inclusive culture in European neuroscience.
In the first part of the event, an ethnically diverse group of early and mid-career scientists, who are at the cusp of launching a lab or consolidating a research programme, will briefly share their formative experiences. With this background, we will expand our horizon to encompass a larger definition of diversity based on gender, ethnicity, and sexual orientation, and fuel discussions with a panel comprising policymakers, scientists and funding agencies to highlight measures to increase diversity, strategies for a culture-change to advance equity, and layout concrete proposals to implement these solutions.
We encourage active involvement from the audience, the next generation stakeholders, that will catalyse the inclusive spirit of the event and reinforce the mission of the ALBA network, FKNE and YIBRO in promoting diversity and equity.
The panel discussion will be followed by a Q&A session until 08:30 pm.
After 8:30 pm, participants will be welcome to join the speakers at a bar (TBD) in Paris for some networking, drinks and snacks. The location will be communicated by email to registrants. Please register here.
- Dr Srikanth Ramaswamy (Biosciences Institute, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University, UK – ALBA Ambassador and Chair of the Young IBRO Committee) – Chair of the event
- Dr Simona Lodato (Department of Biomedical Sciences, Humanitas University, Italy – FENS-Kavli Scholar) – Co-Chair of event
- Dr Flavio Donato (University of Basel, Switzerland – FENS-Kavli Scholar)
- Dr Bianca Silva (Institute of Neuroscience, Humanitas Research Hospital, Italy – FENS-Kavli Scholar)
- Dr Lora Sweeney (Institute of Science and Technology (IST), Austria – FENS-Kavli Scholar)
- Leena Ali Ibrahim (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia)
- Devika Narain (Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
- Ahmed El Hady (Max Planck Institute of Animal Behaviour/Universität Konstanz, Germany)
- Mootaz Salman (University of Oxford, UK)
- Mahmoud Maina (University of Sussex, UK)
- Paul Walton (University of York, USA)
- Paola Bovolenta (Center for Molecular Biology Severo Ochoa, CSIC-UAM, Spain - Member of the ERC Scientific Council and representative member of the ERC Gender Issue Working Group)
- Valentina Borghesani (Psychology Department of the Université de Montreal, Canada – Women in Neuroscience Repository (WiNRepo) Board Member)