Recently founded by a group of leading scientists, the ALBA Network aims to promote equality and diversity in the brain sciences.
The goals of the network are to:
- promote best practices to counteract bias
- recognize outstanding contributions to science and diversity
- provide networking and mentoring opportunities to promote careers for members of underrepresented groups.
These goals will be achieved through:
- Establishing a Declaration of Best Practices
- Curating a centralized resource of available data on bias, underrepresentation, and effective strategies
- Hosting networking events at major Brain Science conferences
- Establishing awards (e.g. Women in Brain Science/ Diversity Award) with partner sponsors
- Highlighting success stories of individuals and organizations to create role models
- Advocacy with policy makers, funding agencies, institutions
- Creating a mentoring community
- Collecting a database of scientists as a resource for speaker invitations, award nominations
Alba means sunrise in several languages (e.g., Spanish, Italian). The word, with poetic resonance, evokes the beginning of a new day, when light is emerging to illuminate a new future.
Naming this network ALBA relates, thus, to the recognition that our scientific communities are commencing to acknowledge the importance of incorporating diversity and ensuring equality in the way we deal with science.
Although traditionally the field of Neuroscience has been lagging behind in these topics, we consider that we are currently living an extraordinary momentum when progress starts happening.
Thus, the ALBA Network has the ambition to being an emerging energy that helps catalyzing this promising movement towards a definitive change when all brain scientists will have equal opportunities to thrive.
The ALBA Steering Committee
The ALBA Steering Committee is composed of women and men involved in research, education, communication and advocacy in brain sciences.
The ALBA Steering Committee is divided into working groups dedicated to Awards, Events, Best Practices and Communication. The ALBA Executive Committee is composed of the leader of each group together with the Chair and the Secretary.
The ALBA Office
The Alba Office is currently hosted in the FENS office. Mathilde Maughan is the ALBA Network Manager.