An inclusive workplace culture is a healthy environment for all. To establish an inclusive workplace and promote healthy work-life balance, the ALBA Declaration on Equity & Inclusion advises to facilitate access to child/family care (through onsite facilities and/or subsidization where possible). This article provides useful tips & resources on best practices about childcare policies.
- Offer regular on-site or nearby child care facilities and for any and all events in evenings or on weekends.
- Reimbursement for childcare costs so as not to disadvantage working mothers.
- Inadequate Childcare Policies Affect Scientists’ Careers; EuroScientist
Examples of best practice:
- Parental-leave policy by EU country; European Institute for Gender Equality (EIGE), (Lithuania)
- Elder care benefits; ETH Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (CH)
- Caretaking in Academic Medicine: From pregnancy through early parenting; Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)