Ensure equal pay for equivalent positions
An inclusive workplace culture is a healthy environment for all. To establish an inclusive workplace and transparent career structures, the ALBA Declaration on Equity & Inclusion advises to ensure equal pay for equivalent positions. This article provides useful tips & resources on best practices about equal pay.
Women and underrepresented minorities have long been on the receiving end of reduced pay scales even when equally qualified or performing equal work. For groups of researchers who have been traditionally denied the same rights as the dominant group, negotiating for deserved positions and salaries does not always come naturally.
- Offer negotiating skills courses for women and minorities.
- Publicise pay scales and benefits and reports monitoring fairness.
Examples of best practices:
- Annual report on equality between women and men: Equal and transparent pay in EU. European Commission, Gender Equality Strategy: Striving for a Union of equality 2020-2025 (EU).
- Strategy for Gender Balance and Equal Opportunities (2021-2024); ETH Board, the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology Board (CH)
- Gender pay gap – transparency on pay for men and women; European Commission initiative (EU)
- How to Do a Salary Equity Study: With an Illustrative Example From Higher Education. Lori L. Taylor & al; Sage Journal (2019).
- Pay equity among faculty at Ontario’s universities; OCUFA’s Submission to the Ontario Gender, Wage Gap Steering Committee (US).