ALBA gathered useful recommendations & resources (websites, videos, articles, grant calls etc.) linked to diversity issues, in support of underrepresented groups in brain sciences.
List & Repository
List & Repository
In Brain Science
- Anneslist - List of female systems neuroscientist categorised by their speciality
- Women in Neuroscience repository - WinRepo is a repository of Women in Neuroscience for conferences, symposia or collaborations
- Stories of WIN - This project highlight the stories of Women Neuroscientists at different career stages and from diverse background and subfields
- Women in Comp Neuro - Women (broadly defined) in Computational Neuroscience (broadly defined)
- AcademiaNet - Profiles of Leading Women Scientists
- 500 Women Scientists - Request a Woman in STEMM - A resource for journalists, educators, policymakers, scientists, and anyone needing scientific expertise
- WILS - Database of women in science by EMBO
- 500 Queer Scientists - Visibility campaign for LGBTQ+ people and their allies working in STEM
- Womeninbiology Speaker List - Giving more women a voice at scientific conferences and in the media, specifically on topics related to biomedical and biological research
- WiML - Directory of Women in Machine Learning
- /femconsult - Database of German-speaking female scientists created by GESIS - Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences
- Women of MARVEL (CH) - Interview of Women researcher at NCCR Marvel institute as role models
- "23 Black Female Scientists Who Changed The Damn World" (Buzzfeed) - Listing of 23 Black Female Scientists and their world-changing achievement
- Les Expertes (FR) - Repository of French-speaking woman with expertise in various fields
In Brain Science
- Womxn in Neuroscience - provide support to womxn* in neuroscience. *Womxn: an inclusive term that encompasses all people who are cis-female, trans-female, non-binary, genderqueer, or female-identifying
- WICS Europe - Aim to improve the visibility of women in cognitive neuroscience and computational modeling areas by ensuring that they are included on editorial boards and influential committees
- World Women in Neuroscience - International organization dedicated to promoting the career development of women neuroscientists across the globe
- Black In Neuro - Celebrating Black excellence in neuroscience related fields
- Simply Neuroscience - International, student-run, nonprofit organization that empowers students to get involved in the interdisciplinary fields of neuroscience and psychology through education, outreach, and awareness
- Society of Biological Psychiatry - The SOBP Provide leadership training and peer support to senior women in the field of Biological Psychiatry; Nurture and promote junior women; Contribute to increased diversity and equality within the SOBP
- Society for Black Brain and Behavioural Scientists - (US) The purpose of this society is to support the development, acclimation, and endeavours of Black scientists who study and/or research the brain, nervous systems, mind, and behaviour, and to promote diversity in the fields of brain and behavioural science
- 500 Women Scientists - The mission of 500 Women Scientists is to serve society by making science open, inclusive, accessible and transform society by fighting racism, patriarchy, and oppressive societal norms
- Black British in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics - BBSTEM is a non-profit organisation campaigning for balance and representation of Black individuals in STEM
- European Plaftorm of Women Scientists - The EPWS is an international non-profit organisation that represents the needs, concerns, interests, and aspirations of more than 12.000 women scientists in Europe and beyond
- Spark Society - Organization aiming to give scientists of color the tools to become innovators in the cognitive sciences
- Women In Science (US) - WIS is an Harvard based organization aiming to generate thoughtful conversation about gender and cultural gaps while providing tools and a safe environment to achieve gender equity
- Women in STEM. Educate - WiS.W is a platform created by young women to Inspire scientific curiosity and open more STEM opportunities to female youth
- Belgian Woman in Science (BE) - BeWiSe's main objectives are to support the position of women in science, both in public and private sectors and to improve communication among women in the Belgian and European scientific community
- DisabledInSTEM - This is a safe space for those with disabilities or chronic illness and for those who are neurodiverse to seek advice from each other and share resources to help each other succeed.
- Science in Australia Gender Equity - SAGE’s vision is to improve participation, retention and success of women and other gender minorities and support gender diversity in Australian higher education and research
- Athena Swan Charter - Encouraging and recognising commitment to advancing gender equality
In Brain Science
- NEURONEXXT - Provides female neuroscientists from the postdoctoral level onwards with an international platform to draw attention to their research
- Women in Cognitive Science Canada - Provide professional and networking opportunities for women in cognitive science
- Women in Neuroscience/Nigeria - Empower Nigerian women and girls through networking events, resources, professional opportunities and awards
- Global Women Scholars Network - GWSN goal is to increase women in the sciences through generating collaborative research proposals on environmental sustainability, while also creating a supportive network of women scholars by pairing institutions and expertise
- Three Circles of Alemat - Assist in creating circles of mentoring for women academics and social networks that promote their professional life and boost their personal well-being
- The European Association for Women in STEM - WiTEC EU form a network of companies, universities, organisations and individual members, with coordinators across Europe
- Mentorship for Underrepresented STEM Enthusiasts (US) - M.U.S.E. was created to connect underrepresented students to STEM professionals-particularly those who also share underrepresented identities
- STEAM Program/Professional Woman International Brussels - PWI Brussels offers a programme to support womans' career progression in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts (including Design), and Mathematics
- Halkes Women Faculty Network (NL) - Facilitates inspiring meetings that bring women researchers and other interested persons together in the University of Radboud
- NCCR TransCure (CH) - Interdisciplinary Swiss-wide research network of academic research groups
- Fellowship for the Future - 500 Women Scientists has launched a fellowship to recognize and amplify the crucial role of women of color in STEM
- IBRO-PERC Open Grants - List of Open Grant Application from the International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- Global Health Travel Awards - GHTAs bring scientists from low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) to select Keystone Symposia meetings, where they may participate in discussions on the forefront of science and medicine
- FD&D Research Enabling Grant for Extenuating Work/Life Circumstances (US) - (Harvard University) REGs are intended to provide financial assistance to eligible faculty facing work/life or personal/family challenges that threaten to impede their academic research and/or their progress
- AABRS - Grants guide for Small businesses owned by women in the UK and the US
- (FMxA) Women for Africa Foundation - The Programme aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries
- Equality Can't Wait Challenge (US) - Grants will be awarded to organizations or coalitions of organizations with the most compelling proposals to help expand women’s power and influence in the United States by 2030
- FORGEN/Funding Organisations for Gender (EU) - Community of Practice aimed at Research Funding Organisations throughout the European Research Area, with some international participation
- Toptal Scholarships for Women - Empowering Future Female Leaders to Change the World
- GP2-funded training opportunity - GP2 is accepting applications from participants from lower and middle income countries on the Wellcome Genome Campus course: Molecular Neurodegeneration and Therapeutic Approaches that will take place from January 25 to January 29, 2021
In Brain Science
- FENS Awards and Awards Directory - FENS launches research awards biennially, and you can find in their directory, recurring awards promoted by donated by other granting agencies
- SfN Awards - SfN awards span a wide range of achievements, from recognizing the merits of young and promising neuroscientists to honouring those who’ve dedicated their careers to furthering the field.
- The Brain Prize - The world's largest brain research prize is organized by the Lundbeck Foundation and awards one or more brain researchers who have had a ground-breaking impact on brain research.
- The Golden Brain Awards - Each year the Minerva Foundation awards a Golden Brain to an investigator at the forefront of research for significant findings of vision and the brain
- The Gruber Yale Prize in Neurosciences - Honours scientists for major discoveries that have advanced the understanding of the nervous system
- Kavli Prize - Honour scientists for breakthroughs in astrophysics, nanoscience and neuroscience
- Swartz Prize for Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience - The Swartz Foundation, honours an individual whose activities have produced a significant cumulative contribution to theoretical models or computational methods in neuroscience.
- The Perl-UNC Neuroscience Prize - The prize is awarded by the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine for a seminal discovery in neuroscience.
- Organization for Human Brain Mapping awards - OHBM recognizes the outstanding contributions of members in the field of human brain imaging.
- National Academy of Sciences Award Award in the Neurosciences - The NAS in the Neurosciences is awarded every three years to recognize extraordinary contributions to the progress of the neuroscience fields.
- Karl Spencer Lashley Award - The award is to be made in recognition of work on the integrative neuroscience of behaviour.
- Eppendorf & Science Prize for Neurobiology - The Prize acknowledges the increasingly active and important role of neurobiology in advancing our understanding of the functioning of the brain and the nervous system.
- NIH Diversity Awards - (US) The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke is promoting programs to enhance diversity focus on underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities,from disadvantaged backgrounds, or institutions primarily serving underrepresented groups.
- Henry Grass Rising Stars In Neuroscience Award - (US) The award recognize excellence in neuroscience research by women and PEERs (persons traditionally excluded because of their ethnicity or race) in the United States.
- Nobel prize in Medicine - Nomination and selection of Medicine Laureates
- The Breakthrough Prize - Honour important, primarily recent, achievements in the categories of Fundamental Physics, Life Sciences and Mathematics
- The Kyoto Prize - International award for individuals who have made significant contributions in the fields of science and technology, as well as the arts and philosophy
- Ben Barres Spotlight Awards - Offer scientists from minoritized groups up to $6,000 each to use to advance their research career.
- Minerva Informatics Equality Award (EU) - The award recognises best practices in Departments or Faculties of European Universities and Research Labs that encourage and support the careers of women in Informatics research and education
- ACNP Honorific Awards - (US) The Tianqiao and Chrissy Chen Institute for Neuroscience at Caltech is awarding graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who are actively working to achieve diversity and inclusion at Caltech, and/or the wider community and STEM education
- EPA Pascal-Boyle Prize (EU) - This Prize acknowledge and increase awareness of the outstanding achievements by women in working to improve mental health care in Europe
- PWN Global/Gender Balanced Leadership Awards - Award network of people accelerating gender-balanced leadership in business and society through professional development and global networking opportunities
- Her Royal Science - The podcast is created to feature individuals from minoritised groups in STEM
- There's Food in the House: Episode featuring Dr. Lataisia Jones, PhD, first African-American to graduate with a Ph.D from the Department of Biomedical Sciences in the College of Medicine at Florida State University
- The PhD Podcast - Aim to be a global platform for PhD Students and Early Career Researchers to come together, share experiences, learn and draw inspiration from each other
- The Duchess of Science - Podcast for people from underrepresented groups in STEM, we want to promote #DiversityandInclusion by helping you navigate your way through academia
- Going Through it - S2:E1 Tracy and Josie Duffy Rice, President of The Appeal and host of Justice in America, unpack violence and police brutality, the Black Lives Matter movement, and how Josie re-evaluated what “making change” meant for her career.
Toolkits & E-learning
Toolkits & E-learning
- Toolkit on Gender-sensitive Communication - A resource for policymakers, legislators, media and anyone else with an interest in making their communication more inclusive
- Pronoun Stickers by EDIS - Templates of pronoun stickers for your meetings and conferences
- Increasing Women in Neuroscience Toolkits - (SfN) Each toolkit contains a 30-minute presentation that focuses on specific gender retention issues, such as recruitment, hiring, promotion, and evaluation
- Distinguish between Equity and Equality - SGBA e-learning resource
- INSEAD Gender Diversity Programme - Provides the understanding, concepts and tools that will allow you to develop a strategic and practical plan to reach gender balance in your organisation
- ‘IMPACT Leadership for Women’ Master class - In each masterclass Jessica J.J. Lutz reveals the one surprising, but hidden reason why more women aren’t thriving as leaders
- Advocating for Social Change as a Neuroscientist on Social Media - (SfN) Ubadah Sabbagh explain his advocacy strategy through Twitter and how you can use social media at your advantage
Useful information & Initiatives
Useful information & Initiatives
- Horizon 2020: Women in Science - Collection of HORIZON EU Research & Innovation Magazine Articles on Woman in Science
- UN Women - UN Women is the United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women
- Equality & Diversity initiatives (UK) - University of Cambridge
- Canadian Association For Neuroscience (CAN-CAN) - Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Neuroscience Statement
- Harvard University Equity and Inclusion Journal Club - EIJC meets on a weekly basis in the spring to discuss issues of equity and inclusion in science
- Committee on Women in Science, Engineering and Medicine (US National Academies) - CWSEM collects and disseminates data and information on the education and employment of women scientists, engineers, and health care professionals
- An Inclusive Academy - How colleges and universities can live up to their ideals of diversity, and why inclusivity and excellence go hand in hand
- Equal.brussels (BE) - Brussels based administrative office for equality and diversity
- ASL-STEM Forum - Enabling American Sign Language to grow in STEM